7 Unique Pool Designs That Will Make You Want To Dive In Right NowJanuary 13, 2018
Customers often come to us and ask how can make my swimming pool more energy efficient? This is a great question, especially considering how rough the economy has become recently. In this article, we explain a few ways you can easily reduce your heating costs.
- Select the right heater for your pool: Some heaters have higher upfront costs and lower maintenance costs, while other have lower upfront costs and higher maintenance costs.
- Take advantage of solar heating: By pairing solar panels with your heater, you can drastically reduce your heating costs. Solar panels have minimal operating costs, are environmentally-friendly, and give you access to free heat!
- Run your pool pump when you turn off your heater: When your pool pump is running, the pool water is constantly circulating and has a consistent temperature throughout the swimming pool. In contrast, when your pool pump is not running, warmer water rises to the top of the pool while colder water sinks to the bottom. The surface temperature will be higher when your pool pump is not running. This layering of water temperatures accelerates heat loss from the pool.
- Use a solar cover when you do not use your pool: We always suggest solar covers to our customers because they drastically reduce swimming pool heating costs. 75% of a swimming pools heat loss is due to evaporation. A solar cover minimizes evaporation by acting as a barrier between the pool water and the air. In fact, by using one, you can reduce your swimming pool heating costs between 50-70%.
- Maintain your heater correctly: Maintain appropriate water temperatures when your pool is in use 78° to 80°F (26° to 27°C) for active swimming and 80° to 82°F (27° to 28°C) for recreational swimming. Lower the water temperature when your pool is not in use. By lowering your water temperature 1°F (0.6°C), you can save 10% to 30% in heating costs per month.
By following any of these tips, you can have the best of both worlds: lower swimming pool heating costs and a heated swimming pool. How do you keep your swimming pool heating costs down? Please contact us for further information.