A properly functioning and a clean filter is necessary to keep your pool swim safely this season. Here are some answers to common pool filtration questions.
How often does my filter needs cleaning?
- A pool needs a clean filter and it needs to be cleaned periodically-usually once a month in swim season and perhaps less frequently in the offseason.
- If your pool’s filter is oversized by design, these filters need cleaning 3-4 times per year by a pool professional.
- If your pool filter is undersized, you may need to clean it more frequently than once per month. This issue should be addressed whenever you are considering a new filter. Don’t replace like for like if your pool filter is undersized consider an upgrade. You and your water will be happier.
- It’s best to make sure you have a working pressure gauge on your filter, bleed off all the air and record the starting pressure of a clean filter. *
- When dirt and debris cause your filter pressure to be 10 psi higher than that starting pressure, it’s time to clean your filter.
How long do filter cartridge elements last?
- If your cartridge filter has the proper fit for your pool, the element should last 12-18 months
- If you have an oversized cartridge filter the elements may last as long as 3 years.
- Undersized elements tend to last 12 months or less due to the overtaxing and working in higher pressures than designed.
WHAT’S THE BEST KIND OF POOL FILTER?
There is no best, just what works on your pool properly to give you swim safe clear bright water. Failing to do this, it becomes an issue that it needs correction right away by you and your pool professional. Without a properly functioning filter, your pool will never be the wonderful oasis of family fun you want it to be. So whether it’s a sand filter, a cartridge filter or a diatomaceous earth filter that your pool uses, making sure you know how to clean it and keep it functioning properly is one of the keys to having a successful swimming pool season.
As always we can do this for you. Simply give us a call and we schedule regular maintenance which includes filtration cleaning.
Keeping Pools Blue Since 2002
14 Commercial Blvd. Ste 125, Novato, CA 94949 | 415.382.7539 | 707.317.6930 | poolcraft@poolcr